Hand washing is one of the most important steps we can take to avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. Many diseases and conditions are spread by not washing hands with soap and clean, running water.
When should you wash your hands?
· Before, during, and after preparing food
· Before eating food
· Before and after caring for someone who is sick
· Before and after treating a cut or wound
· After using the toilet
· After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet
· After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
· After touching an animal, animal feed, or animal waste
· After handling pet food or pet treats
· After touching garbage
How long should you wash your hands? After wetting and applying soap to your hands, you should scrub your hands for 20 seconds.
How long is 20 seconds? Try singing the Happy Birthday song, twice - that will take approximately 20 seconds.
By practicing and prioritizing proper hand washing, you will not only be protecting yourself, but also your friends, family, and the general public from spreading illness.